History and Background
Yeovil Sports Club was established in 1948 when local benefactor, Stanley Johnson purchased the land at what is now known as Johnson Park and put it in the control of a group of Trustees with Yeovil Sports Club nominated to manage and operate the facilities.
The main condition of the Trust was that the land was to be made available for members of the community to join the Club and use the sports facilities, etc.
Since that time there have been many changes at Johnson Park with a number of organisations coming and going notably, perhaps, Yeovil Harriers and Yeovil Rugby Football Club.
The current Clubhouse was built in the late ‘60’s on the site of the original Clubhouse.
The sports grounds have seen many teams of various sports come and go and the cricket ground once used to host County matches. Between 1951 and 1967, Somerset County Cricket Club played 12 first-class cricket matches on the ground, and Somerset also played two List A matches there, one each in 1969 and 1970.